One of the groups I love to speak with and for is Rotary International clubs.
As a former Rotarian myself, I know they’re all about service – and service is about connection.
Today I delivered a presentation to one fine club in my area (digitally). Here are the highlights.
How To Connect Right Now
- Show up. If you make a commitment, show up fully. Turn on your video, as if we’re in the room together.
- Clean your schedule. If you find yourself over-scheduling or not having the time you want and need for yourself, clean & clear your schedule. Get rid of half the ‘stuff’.
- Self-care. Taking care of yourself is first and foremost. You cannot serve anyone else if you neglect yourself.
- Stand up! With so much screen time, a lot more butt time is happening. Standing up is better, in every way.
- Wave. Positive welcoming physical movements right now are key to helping connect and feel noticed.
- Mic up. Use a microphone to be heard. It’s not about you; it’s about your audience being able to hear you. As a long time pro speaker and trainer, I can tell you: this is critical in learning and sharing your message.
- Wear colorful clothes. Brighter colors make us happier – so be a literal bright spot in someone’s day.
- Write notes. Writing and sending notes, cards, letters, and postcards is valuable communication. People save notes; they don’t save emails.
- Improve your language. The accurate term is physical distancing, not social distancing. ‘Social distancing’ messes with our brain; stay emotionally connected and safely physically distanced.
- Send someone a goodie. A small token that says “You matter/you’re valuable/I value you” goes miles toward feeling connected.
- More calls, less screen. Tap into your listening abilities and improve them with phone calls. Ditch as many screen meetings as you can. When we listen, we literally tune in differently.
- Focus on growth. If you stop growing right now – if you contract, it’s gonna hurt. Big time, long-term. Those who will stay the course, emerge stronger and better are focused on growth.
To all the Rotarians and Connectors out there, I salute you ~
If you’re seeking a useful and lively presentation to teach your team, group and club human connection skills, contact me – I’d be delighted to work with you.